10 Top Tools for User Experience Testing
User experience is predicted to surpass both price and product as the key differentiator between brands by 2020. Here are 10 UX testing tools to help you optimize your website’s usability, navigability, and user experience.
User testing is a pivotal piece of user experience (UX) design.
Understanding how users interact with your website is essential to creating the best possible UX and optimizing for conversions.
Fortunately, a variety of software exists to help you understand user behavior and provide the necessary insights for improving your website.
Which user testing tool you choose depends upon your requirements, the interface you prefer, and your budget.
Here are 10 user experience (UX) testing tools for your website:
- Crazy Egg
- User Zoom
- Loop 11
Hotjar is a visitor recording tool that allows you to track visitor sessions on your website. Watching these videos lets you see where visitors encounter UX issues and drop off from your website.
Expect features like:
- Heat mapping
- Video recordings of on-page interactions
- Event-based targeted questions to collect real-time feedback on issues
- Instant visual or written feedback from users
- A surveying tool
Cost: $89 per month for 20,000 page views per day, up to more than $989 per month for 2,000,000+ page views per day. Free 15-day free trial included.
Optimizely is a user-friendly A/B testing platform that also allows you to track conversions and visits. A/B testing is an effective method for evaluating UX changes to your website compared to the existing design.
This tool allows you to create personalized experiences that target specific audiences by certain parameters. This helps you identify which elements are impacting which demographic.
Optimizely offers a full suite of features:
- A/B testing
- Cross-browser testing
- Mobile website testing
- Visitor segmentation
Cost: Free – but certain features are only available with paid enterprise-level plans.
Usabilla is a comprehensive user experience platform that allows you to gather both visual and solicited feedback from users. There’s an easy-view dashboard and nine applications in total, most notably:
- Feedback widgets for gathering UX data on emails
- Heat mapping for page clicks
- Exit surveys
- Feedback for mobile
- Targeted feedback forms
Cost: $49 per month with a free 14-day trial.
4. FiveSecondTest by UsabilityHub
FiveSecondTest measures the first impressions of users to help you optimize your web designs for clarity. If you notice a disparity in your intended design and the responses, you have an issue with design clarity.
The simple process involves three steps:
- Upload a design (homepage, landing page, logo, marketing materials, etc.) and include a question about design or functionality
- Each respondent takes 5 seconds to view the design then answers your question
- FiveSecondTest collates the responses and provides a helpful word cloud
Cost: $20 per month with an option to earn free responses by acting as a respondent.
UserFeel is notable among UX testing software because it caters to a wide variety of languages. Designed to accommodate non-English sites and respondents, it collects and collates data in over 40 languages.
UserFeel also includes these features:
- Fast results, typically delivered within 24 hours
- Mouse movement tracking reports
- Video footage of testers using your site with voice-over and transcribed commentary
- Written responses to set questions
- Testing summary
Cost: $39 per usability test with a 90-day money-back guarantee. For accurate results, the company recommends running 3-5 tests.
6. Crazy Egg
Crazy Egg is the pioneer of heat mapping technology. This click-based UX tool shows you how users interact with your site to help you understand why they are not converting.
The complete set of features are as follows:
- ‘Heat map’ – allows you to see where visitors click on each page
- ‘Scroll map’ – shows how far down the page a visitor scrolled
- ‘Confetti’ – provides insights about search terms, traffic sources, and other page elements
- ‘Overlay’ – shows the number of clicks per page element
Cost: $9 per month with a 30-day free trial.
TryMyUI is modestly-priced usability testing tool with impression testing. Select from numerous features and the capability to test with anonymous reviewers or your own provided candidates. Features include:
- Narrated video with voice-over commentary to explain user thought processes
- Written summary of user responses to a questionnaire created for your test
- Impression testing
- Mouse click and keystroke tracking
- Mobile website testing
- Demographic curation
Cost: $35 per test with discounts for bulk testing and entrepreneurs.
8. User Zoom
User Zoom is a premium UX research and analytics platform aimed at enterprise-level businesses. Offering a wealth of features, the fully packaged service enables the capture and analysis of user interaction in a variety of ways.
- Prototype and wireframe testing to validate information architecture (IA) concepts
- Clickstream visualizations to help with user journey analysis
- Heat mapping to track clicks and keystrokes
- Card-sort testing to identify the ideal position for menu elements and to optimize findability
- Benchmarking based on market research and competitor websites
- Mobile website testing
- Robust user dashboard
Cost: Pricing begins at $24,000 per year and varies by the number of administrative accounts, features, required UX research hours, and more.
9. Loop 11
Loop 11 is a usability survey tool that allows for unmoderated remote usability testing with live users. The prompter provides the user a task on your website and then tracks their interaction. Data points are presented in a full report to assist with improvements.
Look for features like:
- Heat map and clickstream analysis
- Audio and video recordings of user interactions with commentary
- Prototype testing
- Mobile testing
- Functionality in 40+ languages
Cost: $29 for three user tests/month with a maximum of five users per test; or, $199 per month for unlimited tests or $1,788 per year (25% discount) for unlimited tests.
Qualaroo enables you to target website users with questions and surveys in real-time. This helps you learn fresh insights about usability and navigability to improve your UX.
- Exit surveys to uncover why users didn’t convert
- Conditional logic questions, which target users with tailored follow-up questions
- Integrations with Salesforce and Marketo
Cost: Plans start at $99 per month, and there’s a free 14-day trial.
Website UX Testing
Tracking interactions and gathering feedback from users is the first step towards an ideal website. Good user experience is critical to a successful website.
These user testing tools deliver the clarity needed to enhance your site’s usability, navigability, and user experience.