How to Use Social Data to Launch a Successful Marketing Campaign
How to Use Social Data to Launch a Successful Marketing CampaignContributed Content
Social media platforms provide some of the best marketing tools. Of all those tools, the most valuable is social data.
Social media has rapidly become a powerful PR and marketing tools. That’s no surprise: The number of social media users has grown immensely since 2010, making it one of the most versatile ways to market a company to a huge number of people:
Social media platforms offer companies plenty of built-in tools for marketing purposes. But, the biggest benefit that marketers can get from social media is social data.
How to Use Social Data to Launch a Successful Marketing Campaign
- Remember the benefits of social data
- Study your audience
- Determine your perfect content
- Stay up-to-date on social media trends
- Use social media for your marketing campaign
What is Social Data?
Basically, social data is information, publicly shared by users, such as:
- Feedback (likes, shares, comments)
- Biographical data
Social data is raw data and requires additional analysis. As a result of this analysis, marketers receive customer insights that can potentially influence a marketing campaign.
Nevertheless, social data is not always the ultimate solution that you can refer to when launching a marketing campaign. Social data has limitations, meaning that people don’t always share it in full scope, skipping, for instance, their location or feedback. Thus, the numbers that you get after social data analysis are rough.
Remember the Benefits of Social Data
Despite its limitations, social data is still a powerful tool to prepare and launch a marketing campaign, and has benefits including:
- Getting to know an audience better: For example, social data gives you information on when your audience is the most active, giving you insights on what time is optimal for posting your marketing content.
- Optimizing content: The feedback that social media users share is also a part of social data that helps you understand your content better. The level of responsiveness to one content type may differ from the other content types, giving you insights on what your audience prefers to see.
- Learning more about your competitors: The advantage of social data is its accessibility. This means that you can get open access to the social data of your competitors just by visiting their social media profiles. This can also help you discover new ways to make your content engaging by learning from practices that your competitors employ.
By remembering the benefits of social data, you will be better prepared to launch a marketing campaign.
Study Your Audience
It’s a fundamental truth that your target audience is the foundation of your marketing campaign. It is also true that you will need to adjust your audience insights for every new marketing campaign.
So, in the early stages of developing your marketing campaign, it is worth studying target audience personas and considering the necessary criteria:
- Demographic criteria such as age, gender, location, language, family status, job, and income
- Psychographic criteria such as interests and hobbies, lifestyle and values, and behaviors
Now, take a look at your social media profiles. Social media accounts provide companies with regularly updated insights on who their audience is, where their audience is located, their language, age, and many other factors.
For example, Facebook’s social data focuses on gender and geography:
Now, you will know that a majority of your page’s audience speak English but a substantial minority speak Polish.
LinkedIn allows you to see follower demographics, including location, job function, seniority in the company, industry, and company size:
Having learned their core job functions, you can now target professional content that is relevant to their day-to-day life.
Twitter provides similar social data to Facebook:
Now, tweets can be targeted to specific geographies.
Overall, this social data allows you to determine which platform will work best for your marketing campaign.
For instance, if you plan on launching a marketing campaign with your target audience being predominantly millennial women based in the U.S. who are interested in arts and design, take a look at social data analytics from every social media platform you’re active on. This way, you’ll make sure that you get the most engagement from your target audience.
Determine Your Perfect Content
Another important constituent of a successful marketing campaign is determining the content type most in-line with the needs of your target audience, allowing you to employ every engagement tool that a particular social media platform offers.
Again, social media platforms already provide users with regularly updated insights on which content drives the most engagement:
This means that you can take a look at how your content performed during previous marketing campaigns. Thus, you can employ and perfect the practices that previously worked well for your marketing needs.
You can also use general statistics from social data to determine which content type generally performs best on each particular platform:
- On Facebook, video is the most engaging content, driving almost 60% more engagement than other types of posts.
- LinkedIn focuses more on informative written content that helps people make better decisions.
- Videos are big on Twitter as well. Video content is reportedly 6 times more likely to be retweeted than any other content type.
- Stories and carousel photos are the predominant content types on Instagram, driving 70% more engagement.
Taking into consideration the performance of your own content as well as general statistics per every social media platform will help you understand, which content type performs best for marketing needs and the needs of your target audience.
This social data is very valuable, as it helps you determine how you will represent your product in your next marketing campaign.
Stay Up-To-Date on Social Media Trends
For your marketing to become successful, you need to be well-informed about the trends that users follow on social media. One of the most common pathways that will lead you to the latest social media trends is hashtag analysis.
You have probably already seen trending hashtags on Twitter:
However, hashtags aren’t exclusive to Twitter. On every social media platform, under a particular hashtag, you can find millions of posts united by the same theme. So, a hashtag is a great source of social data, helping you understand what social media users are interested in.
Using a hashtag makes your social media posts more visible. But not every hashtag performs well. So, when developing your marketing campaign, you need to perform the analysis of every hashtag you are planning to use.
Hashtag analysis is what helped Flatfy, once a startup and now an international real estate company, find a hashtag that helped more people find their business online during their first marketing campaign. Flatfy considered two hashtags: #startup and #bootstrap. Performing a quick online hashtag analysis showed the following results:
After receiving the results of hashtag analysis, Flatfy used #startup in their first marketing campaign. They believe that this choice has helped them achieve international recognition.
Hashtag analysis provides you with valuable social data, helping you keep up with the trends and remain relevant.
Use Social Media for Your Marketing Campaign
Social data is a valuable resource for information that can be very helpful when launching a marketing campaign.
Social data allows you to better understand your target audience and their needs, allowing you to produce engaging content that is relevant and informative at the same time.
Mining social data doesn’t require a lot of time, considering that all social media platforms provide their users with weekly updated insights on follower activity, best performing content, and other data.
As a result, you get valuable insights on what your next marketing campaign needs to become successful.